Yes, they are square biscuits. I probably never would have cut a biscuit like this if Bobby Flay hadn’t done it first! I adore him and anyone who knows me, knows that! So, if it’s good enough for Bobby, it’s good enough for me. This is his recipe, by the way.
These biscuits are much like the recipe I’ve already posted here on my food blog except these just seem a bit heartier and sturdier, if that even sounds right. They can definitely hold up to adding a scrambled egg in between those wonderful layers without any issue. Add a slice of crispy bacon and a bit of cheese and you’re breakfast on the go is ready.
Bobby’s Buttermilk Biscuits
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, cold
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Grease a baking sheet with butter or line with parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Combine until the ingredients are incorporated. Cut in the butter using your fingers or a pastry cutter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add the buttermilk and gently mix until the mixture just begins to come together.
- Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured counter. Pat the dough into a 10 by 12-inch rectangle about 3/4-inch thick. Cut into 2-inch squares or use a 2-inch round cutter to cut out biscuits. Press together the scraps of dough, and repeat the process.
- Place the biscuits on the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with cream and sprinkle with the black pepper.
- Bake the biscuits until lightly golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Brush the tops with the melted butter. Cool on a baking rack.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins