Thanksgiving has always been a very favorite holiday of mine. I love to cook the entire meal from start to finish. Back in the day, I used to love to help my Mom, when she would let me. One of the dishes she made was the delectable Cornbread Dressing. I don’t remember her having a recipe nor have we found one. She died in 2001 and since that very year, I’ve tried to find a recipe that would stack up to hers.
I was chatting with a friend on the phone the other day and came to a startling realization – I will never, ever, be able to duplicate my Mom’s Cornbread Dressing. I can come close but it will never be the same as hers. And so, with that being said, I will cease my quest to do just that because I have finally found a recipe that I am happy with and going forward, will make every year. It can be my own new tradition. It is very close to Mama’s, for sure. I might add some poultry seasoning next time. She definitely used that in her recipe and this one doesn’t call for it at all. I didn’t miss it but we’ll experiment next time. And it’ll be my recipe going forward.
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 mins
- Yield: 18 1x
- 1 cup butter; divided
- 3 cups self rising white corn meal mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 7 large eggs; divided
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 3 cups white breadcrumbs; soft
- 2 large sweet onion; diced
- 4 celery stalks; diced
- 1/4 cup fresh sage; finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley; finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon seasoned pepper
- 7 cups chicken broth
- Place 1/2 cup butter in a 13 x 9″ pan. Heat in oven at 425 degrees for 4 minutes.
- Stir together cornmeal and flour; whisk in eggs and buttermilk. Pour hot butter into batter and stir until blended. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool. Crumble cornbread into a large bowl. Stir in breadcrumbs and set aside.
- Melt remaining 1/2 cup butter in a skillet over medium heat; add onions and celery, and saute 5 minutes. Stir in sage, parsley, and seasoned pepper. Saute 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir into cornbread mixture.
- Whisk together chicken broth and remaining 4 eggs, stir into cornbread mixture. Pour evenly into 1 lightly greased 13×9″ pan and 1 lightly greased 8″ square pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 40 mins