I’ve said it a thousand times – homemade is always better. ALWAYS! This holds very true of this recipe for homemade Velveeta cheese. Yes, you can make it yourself in a matter of minutes. Of course it does need 12 hours or so to set but it’s worth the wait.
It’s perfect on baked potatoes, fries, nachos, queso dip, really anywhere you would want melted cheese. It’s so smooth and flavorful and no perservatives, yet will keep up to a month in your refrigerator.
Now when “they” say there is a Velveeta shortage, you will know differently!
- ¼ ounce packet unflavored gelatin
- 6 tablespoons dry milk powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 16 ounces mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- Line a small loaf pan with plastic wrap, covering all sides, leaving excess to hang over the sides.
- Place the unflavored gelatin and dry milk powder in a blender or food processor (I used my food processor). Pour the boiling water over top and immediately pulse to combine. Add the cheddar cheese and puree the mixture until smooth.
- Immediately pour and scrape the cheese mixture into the prepared loaf pan, smoothing it into an even layer with a spatula. Fold the excess plastic wrap over the cheese, pressing it against the surface of the cheese, ensuring that it is completely covered. Refrigerate for at least 12 hours, until set. The cheese will keep in the refrigerator, tightly wrapped in plastic wrap, for up to 1 month.