For years I’ve made a Breakfast Brunch casserole for Christmas morning and other special occasions. That is until now . . . I think this Buttery Breakfast Casserole will have to be the “go to” breakfast casserole for all holidays and special occasions going forward.
This version you make the night before. It’s very much like a savory bread pudding. It is delicious, decadent,and satisfying. As Emeril Lagasse might say, this casserole definitely kicks it up a notch.
Add a glass of Prosecco to complete the decadence of this meal.
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 10 1x
- 1 package hot ground pork sausage Jimmy Dean’s
- 1 1/4 cup parmesan shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 green onion white and light green parts, sliced
- 1 pound croissants about 5–7
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups Gruyere shredded
- Heat oven to 500 degrees. Spread croissants on a large baking sheet and toast, cut side up, until golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes (watch carefully to see that they do not burn). Let cool, then tear into large bite-size pieces.
- In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage until brown and crumbly. Drain. Toss together sausage, Parmesan, and next three ingredients.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese.
- Lightly oil a 9- x 13-inch baking dish. Turn croissant mixture into pan, spreading it out evenly over the bottom. Pour custard into pan, pressing croissants down gently to help absorb the liquid. Cover pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- When you’re ready to bake the casserole, heat oven to 350 degrees. Scatter the remaining grated cheese over the top of the casserole. Transfer to oven and bake until casserole is golden brown and firm to the touch, 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Garnish with sliced scallion tops before serving.
You can substitute Swiss cheese for Gruyere cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins