- 2 tablespoons butter, plus more for baking dish
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light-green part only, chopped
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper (seeded if desired), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (10-ounce) Rotel Fire Roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles, drained
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking grits (not instant)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces large shrimp (16–20 count), peeled, deveined and cooked
- 2 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups shredded Gouda cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter an 8 x 8 baking dish or another similar-sized baking dish. Set aside.
- Heat butter over medium-high heat. Add the scallion, red bell pepper and jalapeño pepper. Reduce heat to medium, cook 4-5 minutes or until beginning to soften.
- Stir in garlic, diced tomatoes with chiles and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Slowly stir in grits.
- Stir continuously until mixture returns to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Stir in shrimp, bacon, egg and 1 cup cheese. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and bubbling. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.