Being a Florida girl, I have to admit I have little experience making soups but through my years of living in Atlanta, I am definitely learning. Growing up I remember Mom making Chili, of course, Beef Stew, White Bean soup (oh my, so delicious), and 4 Bean soup. I think that was it or at least that’s all I remember. We just didn’t have that many cold days to warrant soup! But she did manage to squeeze in a nice soup every now and then.
With all that being said, I absolutely love making soup and do it often during the colder months. This Broccoli and Cheddar soup is delicious. It thickens up quite a bit so doesn’t render itself well to left overs but you could always add a bit more chicken broth the next day to loosen it up a bit.
Although the picture above is this recipe using Mild Cheddar cheese, I prefer to use White Cheddar Cheese. I’m just not a big of fan of “orange” cheese. If you use a White Cheddar Cheese, the soup would look like this. Now, isn’t that more appetizing?
Add a slice of crusty bread and you have a hearty, stick to your ribs, warm you up, meal!!
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 lb. fresh broccoli (about 1 cup),finely chopped
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 8 ounces white cheddar, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute the onion in 1 tablespoon melted butter and set aside. In a large pot, whisk together the melted butter and flour over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in the half and half and chicken broth. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, carrots, and onions. Let them simmer on medium low for about 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender.
- Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and cheddar cheese. Let the cheese melt and then serve. For a smooth soup, puree it using a stick blender. (I did not do this for mine as I prefer the chunks.)
- Serving Size: 1 1/4 cups
- Calories: 304
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 624 mg
- Fat: 23 g
- Saturated Fat: 14.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 10.7 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 14.3 g
- Cholesterol: 70 mg