What a most delicious soup, I mean most delicious. And it’s good for you and full of awesome ingredients like Italian sausage and cheese tortellini! I did use fresh spinach instead of argula. On a cold winter’s day or any day for that matter, it’s a quick and very filling dinner. Add some hard crusty bread and you have a fine meal to devour!
You can thank me later!
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 1 lb. ground Italian Sausage
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 pinches red pepper flakes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth or low sodium chicken broth
- 10 ounces refrigerated tortellini
- 3 cups arugula (or spinach)
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh thyme (optional)
- Fresh basil (optional)
- Brown the Italian Sausage in a Dutch Oven or stockpot over medium heat. When it is almost entirely browned, add the onion and cook until the sausage is done browning and the onion has softened. Turn the heat to low and add the garlic, basil, oregano, parsley, thyme, and red pepper flakes; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- In a small bowl, whisk the tomato paste with about 1/2 cup of beef broth. Add the vegetable broth, remaining beef broth, fire-roasted tomatoes, and thinned-out tomato paste. Increase the heat to medium and bring it to a low boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Add the cheese tortellini and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the tortellini are cooked to your desired tenderness. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the arugula. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle each bowl with 1-2 tablespoons of freshly grated Parmesan cheese. If desired, garnish with fresh thyme or fresh basil.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Cuisine: Italian