I can’t think of a more comforting Sunday dinner (or supper, if you prefer) than meatloaf, mashed potatoes and green peas. Isn’t that the best, warmest combination you can imagine? I love it!
I remember us having meatloaf for dinner often, but not so often that you grew tired of it. And mashed potatoes seemed to always come out of the box – yes, those instant ones, unless I helped and made them from scratch which is much preferred. As an adult, I would never think of using instant mashed potatoes. It’s just not the same. This recipe is decidedly “different” than your typical homemade mashed potatoes. They go perfect with any beef, chicken, or pork.
As for the meatloaf, there are a gazillion different recipes out there but I really like this one. It is very flavorful and holds together perfectly. Topped with the traditional ketchup/brown sugar glaze and you simply can’t go wrong. I’ve eaten it almost every dinner this week – you know, leftovers and more leftovers – but it just gets better and better with every meal!
Try it with your family and let me know how you like it!
- 1½ pound Ground beef
- ¾ cup Oatmeal uncooked
- ¼ cup Onion chopped
- 1½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 cup Vegetable juice V-8
- 1 Egg beaten
- ½ cup Italian bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup Ketchup
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- 3 tablespoon Brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon Yellow mustard
- Mix brown sugar, ketchup, and yellow mustard for glaze. Set aside. Mix ground beef, oatmeal, onion, salt, pepper, V-8, egg, Italian bread crumbs, and Worcestershire (to taste).
- Form into loaf. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, 15 minutes.