I’ve made this recipe before and honestly couldn’t figure out how to display the finished product to give my readers a reality of the finished product. So, I just came up with this shot. It’s not the prettiest thing but it does show the end result.
This “go to” recipe is perfect for whole chickens, as the recipe dictates. When cooking time is complete, you simply pull the meat off the bone and you have all this wonderful white and dark chicken meat to do whatever you want with!
I use it for tacos, quesadillas, chicken salad, barbecue chicken sandwiches, or any kind of chicken pasta dish you might want to try. It’s perfect for any of those dishes.
Or simply serve over salad greens or as a main course with steamed vegetables! The possibilities are endless!
It’s funny, I’ve had my Crock Pot for many, many years now and I love using it and do so almost weekly. Its typically a weekend when I’ll load it up with my favorite ingredients and then I’ll head out to do some photography. Love coming home to a house filled with the aromas of that night’s dinner which is perfect because I’m usually too tired to stand in the kitchen to cook!
Try this recipe one work day or weekend and see how you like it.
- 2 teaspoons Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Thyme
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Red Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Onion
- 1 whole Chicken (about 3-4 lbs)
- Combine the dried spices in a small bowl.
- Loosely chop the onion and place it in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Remove any giblets from the chicken and then rub the spice mixture all over. You can even put some of the spices inside the cavity and under the skin covering the breasts.
- Put prepared chicken on top of the onions in the slow cooker, cover it, and turn it on to high. There is no need to add any liquid.
- Cook for 4 – 5 hours on high (for a 3 or 4 pound chicken) or until the chicken is falling off the bone.