Growing up in Panama City my family would go to a Mexican restaurant to eat dinner every Thursday night way out in Callaway. Well, at the time it was way out. The restaurant’s name? Sombrero Mexican Food Restaurant! And it’s still there on Tyndall Parkway. My, how I loved going there. Oddly, I didn’t have a love for Mexican food at the time. Again, I was a child, a tween, at best. I remember ordering the kid’s fried chicken or the kid’s spaghetti. Yes, indeed, I did. I think I finally progressed to a taco. Imagine that! I never looked back!
We’d love having dinner and then we’d visit the many goats living on property behind the restaurant. Funny goats of all shapes and sizes that would climb up on makeshift log bridges and knock each other off. Quite comical! It, too, is still there. If you’re in the area, you should stop by.
If you happen to visit, rest assured I have no idea how the food is today. I just read some terrible reviews on Google from a few years back. It is a family owned restaurant that has been there for 50+ years. More recent reviews are favorable.
You would never know my love for Mexican food started out like that as I absolutely LOVE it today. Did I say I love Mexican food? I do and I love cooking it at home. It is usually inexpensive, fast, and very filling. And I usually have leftovers for days on end. Which I also adore. And in today’s economy, stretching our grocery dollars is what it’s all about plus you save time in the kitchen. I also like the idea of not slaving in the kitchen every night, even though cooking is one of my passions.
This recipe is definitely a win-win for everyone!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs Boneless Sirloin, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 –2 Garlic Clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Seasoning Salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 green Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- 6 –8 Flour Tortillas
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese (optional)
- Salsa (optional)
- Guacamole (optional)
- Sour Cream (optional)
- Shredded Lettuce (optional)
- Chopped Tomato (optional)
- Chopped Onion (optional)
- Brown the steak in oil.
- Place the steak and drippings into the crock pot.
- Add lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt, and chili powder.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until meat is tender.
- Add green pepper and onion; cover and cook for 1 hour more.
- Warm the tortillas.
- Spoon beef and veggies down the center of the tortillas.
- Top each with cheese, salsa, sour cream, lettuce, and tomatoes if desired.
- Fold in the sides of the tortillas and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 294
- Sugar: 2g
- Sodium: 254.7mg
- Fat: 11.9g
- Saturated Fat: 2.8g
- Carbohydrates: 18.9g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Protein: 26.o9g
- Cholesterol: 71.4mg